We have been engaged to recruit a Lead Auditor (SOX/Operational Audits) for one of the world’s largest and most successful home improvement retailers. At $90B and #31 on Fortune 500, and it is one of the World’s 50 Most Admired Companies (Fortune). This position will is based in Mooresville (North Charlotte), North Carolina. Candidates should live in (or be open to relocate to) the Charlotte area – with a hybrid-type work environment.
The Lead Auditor role is a supervisory role (above Senior Auditor) with leadership of SOX cycles and/or Operational Audits, and supervising staff on those projects. In this role you will split your time between SOX (with leadership of key cycles) and risk-based Operational Audits. This role has high visibility, and you will develop relationships and build your brand with VPs and SVPs throughout the enterprise. The department is also striving to move to more automation, so your background/interest in data analytics would be well-leveraged. This is also a great role for someone with a strong foundation in SOX, who wishes to get more experience in risk-based operational auditing.
This company has long been an employer of choice for the greater Charlotte/Mooresville area. While the company is already highly successful, they are not resting on their laurels. They continue to grow and gain market share through innovation (revamped e-commerce site) and savvy merchandising.
The Internal Audit team is close knit with a great collaborative culture. The Internal Audit group is well-respected within the company and is viewed as a value-added change agent, not just a compliance function. Accordingly, leadership really values analytical critical thinking skills. The department also has a strong track record of both internal promotions as well as moving people out of Audit into the company.
What Makes this Opportunity Special?
- Highly successful global brand, with $90B in annual revenue (Fortune 31)
- Fortune Top 50 Most Admired Companies in the World
- Good mix of SOX and risk-based Operational Audits – great role for someone to leverage their strong SOX background to move more into risk-based operational auditing
- High level of complexity in and processes to keep you stimulated and learning
- Company has a strong commitment to ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance)
- $150m back into communities in 2020
- 64% of Board are women and/or ethnically diverse
- Commitment to sustainable products and responsible sourcing
- Great work/life balance; moderate travel (likely 10% or less)
- Beautiful campus
- Hybrid-remote type work environment (likely in office 2-3 days/wk)
- Mooresville NC rated 83/100 (Exceptional) for livability (Area Vibes)
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 4+ years progressive experience SOX and/or Audit
- CIA, CPA, or other relevant certification, highly preferred
- Extensive SOX experience, to include, planning, performing testing of critical controls, review management testing, quarterly/annual reporting, consulting on with management on controls/narratives, remediation validation, and training management on best practices.
- Risk-based Operational Audit experience, a plus
- Big 4/Public or experience with Retail and/or Supply-Chain-oriented company a plus
- Leadership – demonstrated history of ability to lead end-to-end SOX cycles, and/or audits
- Experience in leveraging data analytics for more controls/testing automation, a plus
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to seek understand root cause and larger trends, a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to flex communication style to suit audience
- History of collaboration – strong team player
- Ability to travel (likely no more than 10%)